Friday, December 22, 2017

Must be: able to roll with the punches

Hello friends, from somewhere in the while blue yonder above Europe.

Our Dog Whisperer Sitter
We're currently in route to Iceland for the Christmas holiday. Shout out to our AMAZING house and dog sitter. It's sure to be a busy holiday for sure, but a good one. We've been excited about this for sometime (okay since booking in June).

Why must we roll with the punches, you ask?!
Because when you check in at the airport and they ask that you check your carry on baggage (an Osprey Farview travel bag/backpack) instead of carrying it on... and you do leaving yourself with just your equipment bag of breakable gear... You think, alright, my luggage is probably going to get lost or damaged. Standard operating procedure for this realist... aka pessimist. I just generally assume that my bag will be lost and typically have a few essential items in my carry on. Paradox much?

Anyway... we checked our carry on bags and made our way to security and passport control to wait at our gate. Wait...Wait... Wait... Call for boarding...Then the voice of the speakers announces (in German first) that security was unable to properly scan any checked luggage. The German speaker's faces dropped and many made negative comments. Then came the same announcement in English. That's right ladies and gents, an ENTIRE flight will arrive in ICELAND without luggage. Many in the group we're traveling with packed their warm coats (myself included) in their checked luggage.

I just have to laugh. Honestly, I'm not entirely upset about not having my belongings... for the time being. My story and tone are likely to change by morning when I want to shower and put on clean under garments. It's unknown if anyone will be compensated for this inconvenience. I won't hold my breath. 

Typically, I would be completely outraged by this situation and my anxiety through the roof in full blown attack mode. But I think I find solace that this happened to EVERYONE, not just me. We can all commiserate together. There's company in misery, right?!. A few on the group and I have decided if we don't have our jackets by morning, we'll just sit in the hotel bar and drink while the "warm ones" walk about the city. Regardless, we'll figure something out.

Anyway, That's all I've got for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment